Burton Abbey was to become the richest of Staffordshire’s religious houses, attracting further endowments throughout its history. At the dissolution its property was valued at £646-17-3. Following the Dissolution, the estates of Burton Abbey were granted to Sir William Paget, Secretary of State to Henry VIII, and thus became the core of the Burton estate in Staffordshire of the Paget family, later Marquesses of Anglesey.
The abbey was dedicated to St Modwen and its precincts occupied an area bounded on the east by the River Trent and on the west by the present High Street and Lichfield Street in Burton.
The will shows Wulfric to have been a very rich landowner and a member of one of the leading tenth-century families in England. He left a number of bequests to his family and to every leading churchman in England at the time but a large part of his property was bequeathed to found Burton Abbey. It is suggested that the endowment was worth £700 in 1004, which represented vast wealth. Generosity on such a scale was unusual and it is clear that Wulfric had great enthusiasm for monasticism. Burton Abbey was to follow the Rule of St Benedict and was placed by Wulfric under the lordship of the King.