Homepage
About the Camps
Life in the Camps
The New Zealand Rifle Brigade
Ernest Begueley - NZRB
The Archaeology of the Camps
The Great War Hut
Maps & Points of Interest

 

1: Large scale map of Brocton Camp

 

 

 

Rugeley Camp

In the autumn of 1914, only months after the start of the First World War, construction of two large camps began on Cannock Chase. The camps (known as Brocton Camp and Rugeley Camp) were constructed with the permission of Lord Lichfield, on whose estate they were being built. The infrastructure for the camps, including the water supply, sewage systems and the roads all had to be created from scratch before work could begin on the huts and other structures.

 


Terms and Conditions

(c) Staffordshire County Council, 2009