Palmer's almshouses, Broad Street, Stafford, about 1950
Rev. Robert Palmer was the rector of St. Mary's Church in Stafford.
In 1638 he endowed two almshouses in Smoakey lane (Now Martin Street)
to house the poor and infirm. The almshouses were a material and spiritual
memorial to his piety and generosity. By the 19th century they had been
exchanged for these cottages in Broad Street. They were demolished in