"There is no point on which the soldiers' comfort has
not been consulted!". These were the words of a Lichfield
Mercury reporter after he'd visited the barrack blocks of
the newly constructed Whittington Barracks in May 1880.
The plan of the barracks is based around a large parade square.
The entrance was from the Lichfield end, not directly off
the A51 as today, and had a North and South Gate, separated
by the Keep.
Perhaps the most imposing building in the barracks was the
Clock Tower Building, which lay on the square. The building
was three storeys high, with the clock tower a further two
storeys above. The building housed a joint Officers' Mess
for the North and South depots, the Militia Officers' Mess,
and the Officers' Quarters. Unfortunately the building fell
into disrepair and was demolished in 1984, although the clock
The completed barracks was formally handed over to the military
authorities on 29th October 1880.