In 1875, the Marquis of Anglesey was approached by the War Department
and asked if he would sell Whittington Heath for the building
of a barracks. He agreed and Whittington Barracks was conceived.
In 1881, as a result of the Cardwell Reforms, the 38th and 80th
regiments became the 1st and 2nd South Staffords and the 64th
and 98th became the 1st and 2nd North Staffords. Both established
their training depots at Whittington Barracks.
The Garrison Church was the first building to be completed on
the site in around 1878. In 2003 the barracks celebrated its
in the 1930s