The largest act of remembrance for the Great War came on 30th
September 1922 when the two War Memorials on the barracks Square,
Naturally the parade and service of dedication was a grand affair,
attended by the Earl of Dartmouth, as Lord Lieutenant, the Bishop
of Lichfield, and of course the regiments themselves.
Soon afterwards the Chapel-school was consecrated and became
'The Garrison Church of Saint George'. At this time some Colours
of wartime service and Militia Battalions were given to the
church for safekeeping, which started something of a trend that
By September 1942 Whittington Barracks had been taken over as
the 10th Replacement Depot (US Army). Although there was a small
British presence, it remained essentially in American hands
until the end of the Second World War.
of the South and North Staffords War Memorials in 1922