Utility Shoes, late 1940s
These shoes were manufactured by Lotus of Stafford
and were purchased at the Lotus shop in Chorlton-cum-Hardy,
They were worn to go dancing. The donor remembers
wearing them with a full length cream chiffon
evening dress with silver and orange bead decoration
at the shoulder and waist.
The Utility scheme was established by the
British Government during the Second World
War. It aimed to make the most efficient
use of the limited supply of raw materials
in the manufacture of clothes, household
goods and furniture. All utility items were
marked CC41, which stood for Civilian Clothing
1941. The scheme continued until 1952.