Design for Moreton Church and Parsonage, 1842, by Thomas Trubshawe, FSA
©Staffordshire and Stoke on Trent Archive Service
The Trubshawes were a dynasty of builders and architects from Little Haywood in Staffordshire. From the 17th century they ran an extensive masonry business, which later expanded into architectural design. Over the generations, they were responsible for many of Staffordshire’s public buildings, bridges, large houses and some of its churches. James Trubshawe, the elder, (1746-1808) was at one time the County Surveyor for Staffordshire. His eldest son, James, (1777-1853) was also a civil engineer and designed the Grosvenor Bridge over the River Dee at Chester.
This design for Moreton Church is part of a group of designs for Staffordshire churches, by Thomas Trubshawe, the eldest son of James, and is likely to have been built by his father’s firm. Many other Trubshawe buildings are illustrated in the Staffordshire Views series held in the William Salt Library, Stafford.
Related Web links:
1000 Years of Staffordshire Churches