Walker Bros. of Wigan were given the order for the construction of this new fan engine for the Institute and Platt pits in 1938, shown here assembled at Walker’s works. It had a 15ft by 5ft indestructible fan, a pair of 3ft stroke beam engines with 14.5in x 26in cylinders. They were designed to use steam at 150/200 1bs. Per sq. in. with superheat at 600 deg.F. The indicated horsepower was 545.