|New screens in Whitfield|
In the early 1950ís the National Coal Board completely reconstructed the Hesketh pit surface arrangements. A fully automatic simultaneous decking plant, new screens with conveyor belt for the carriage of screen refuse direct to the dirt disposal plant was installed. The original span roof of the heapstead building was replaced by a flat one. Underground roads were adapted for the introduction of high capacity mine cars and flameproof diesel locomotives for underground haulage. The photograph taken 1953/54.