|Carl Still coke ovens|
The Birchenwood by-products plants used 72 ovens of the Carl Still type coke ovens which were brought into use in October 1912. In 1938 they were replaced by a battery of 17 Simon Carves coke ovens with the addition of a further 14 of the same type in 1947. Coke was sold as a valuable fuel for various purposes and used in suitable fires and furnaces. The works closed in April 1973 with the advent of North Sea (natural) gas.