Wagon taring house

The small office building in the centre of the photograph is the wagon taring house, built in 1898 at Whitfield colliery. At first only a quarter of the wagons arriving passed over the machine and several years were to elapse before the sidings were altered so that every wagon arriving at the colliery was tared before passing under the screens.

Back Up Next