|Steam winding engine house|
This photograph, circa 1920, emphasises the imposing height of the Institute pit winding engine house and headgear. The engine house has a Victorian dignity all of its own and is symbolic of the age. Note the ornamental windows. The roof of the engine house was burnt off in May 1917. The new brickwork is clearly visible. There was no sound quite like the exhaust from the Institute winding engines. This grand industrial sound was finally silenced when the exhaust steam was turned into economisers installed with the new boiler installation in 1938.