Wolstanton colliery (1920-1985). A group of pottery manufactures financed the sinking of the shafts. A major reconstruction scheme between 1951 and 1964 merged Wolstanton with Sneyd and Hanley Deep pits and in 1975 it was connected underground with Chatterley Whitfield. It was regarded as the ‘Superpit’ of the North Staffordshire coalfield with the deepest coal mining shafts (3750 feet) in western Europe.
The photograph shows work in progress to modernise Wolstanton colliery in 1957.