Stafford colliery (Great Fenton) (1873-1969). The company started to operate in 1873 to obtain the blackstone ironstone and coal in the upper seams. The Homer and Sutherland pits were sunk by C.J.Homer for the Duke of Sutherland circa 1876 after Homer left the Chatterley Iron Co. to work for the duke - hence their names. Both pits were provided with the most ornate engine-houses in brick and stone with a matching square section chimney.

Colliery Map