Racecourse colliery, Cobridge (1840-1941).This photograph could well be one of the oldest colliery photographs in existence.

Three shafts were sunk on the site of the old Hanley race-course hence its name. Over the years two shafts were modernised and received steel headgears and one was closed in 1921. The ever present hazard of flooding and later dwindling reserves led to closure in May 1941.

Colliery Map