Kemball colliery, Heron Cross (1876-1963). This colliery was used as a training pit for new recruits in the 1940s. It proved very useful during World War 2 to train ‘Bevin Boys’. The shafts were known as Pender and Bourne, and for many years it served as the return airway for Hem Heath colliery, which had only one shaft until the 1950s.

Colliery Map