Hanley deep pit (Shelton Iron, Steel & Coal Co.Ltd.) (1854-1962). The original Deep Pits were sunk in 1854 to a depth of 500 yards. In the early years of the century the shafts were widened and deepened to 880 yards making it the deepest mine in the country. During the 1930s, it employed 1552 men and boys underground and 395 on the bank. It closed in 1962.
The colliery is now the site called Hanley Forest Park. As a reminder of its coal mining days, a pit winding wheel has been erected at one of the entrances, whilst the spoil heaps have been reclaimed.