Florence colliery, Longton (1874-1990). The three shafts at Florence Colliery were sunk from 1874 to 1916. The colliery was taking its name from the 3rd Duke of Sutherland’s eldest daughter. From 1950 to 1964 there was a £7 million modernisation scheme. The photograph was taken in October 1990 showing the modernised Florence colliery just before the merger with Hem Heath was complete.

Colliery Map