Ingestre, St Mary
Only two new churches were built in Staffordshire during the 17th century. Ingestre church was built by Sir Walter Chetwynd and is believed to be to the design of Sir Christopher Wren. There is no documentary evidence to support this but the two were both members of the Royal Society and friends and the quality of the building speaks for itself.
Broughton, St. Peter
Built in 1633 and originally the private chapel of the Broughton family,
it was made available for worship to local families by the Broughtons
from 1711. The high box pews are original 17th century and rare in Staffordshire.
The ecclesiastical parish was not established until 1924.
Rushton Spencer, St. Lawrence
This church is a rarity in Staffordshire having an earlier timber frame construction inside a later 17th century stone building. Timber framed churches are very rare in the county.
Weston under Lizard, St. Andrew
Norton le Moors, St. Bartholomew
The seating in the Georgian church was extended in 1852 to provide an additional 36 sittings. But even this proved to be insufficient and the church was further extended in 1911-13 in memory of a former rector.
Continue your tour in the 19th & 20th Centuries >> or choose a time period from the Timeline at the top of the page.