Drawn by J. Buckler, 1841
The Anson family had purchased the Shugborough estate in the 17th century from Thomas Whitby. The hall was first re-designed by the third William Anson in the 1690s and then again by Thomas Anson, financed by his younger brother George Anson. In 1831 the family were created Earls of Lichfield.
(© William Salt Library: SV IV.304)