A Millennium in the Archives of the Staffordshire and Stoke-On-Trent Archive Service


<<Back                                                                                                      c1500-1600

Object Viewer

Use the navigation toolbar or keyboard controls to zoom and pan within the image. Click image to zoom in.
A=Zoom In :: Z=Zoom Out :: Click+Drag=Pan :: Esc=Reset

Parish Register Of Stafford St Mary, 1559-1666

This is the first parish register for St Mary’s which begins in 1559. This is an example of a church, where earlier entries from 1538 (if ever   recorded) were not copied up in 1598, when the parchment register was acquired. This page includes the baptism of Izaak Walton, author of The Compleat Angler, on 21 September 1593. His childhood home was in East Street, Stafford on the site of the present police station.

( © Staffordshire Record Office D1399/1 )

Click here for the document transcription
Staffordshire Record OfficeWilliam Salt LibraryStoke on Trent City Archives