A Millennium in the Archives of the Staffordshire and Stoke-On-Trent Archive Service

Extent Or Survey Of The Manors Of The Bishops Of Coventry And Lichfield, 1297-1298
Manor Of Eccleshall In The Hundred Of Pirehill

Translation and précis

Extent of the manor made 13 March 1298 [Thursday after the feast of St Gregory, 26 Edward], on oath, by Roger de Charnes, Adam de Wethales, Robert de Horseleye, Robert Gerveys, Thomas Gerveis, Peter de Hakedene, William de Chacculne, William de Croxton, Hamo de Adbastone, William de Aula, Richard le Barkere and Thomas ate Hull.

They say that the manor is in Pirehill hundred and the advowson is in the hands of the Bishop. The capital messuage and gardens are worth 10s [calculated as three lots of 40d and reduced from an initial amount of 13s 4d which has been deleted].

Demesne land is in the great field called Ruyl in Helenham park, a total of 235 acres. In the field of Whiteleye there is 29 acres 1 rod of newly assarted land.

In the field of Assendon there is 146 acres 3 ½ rods; in Morfeld 58 acres 1 ½ rods; in Neuwefeld 132 acres. Lands formerly belonging to Reginald le Leche in various pieces in the fields amount to 5 acres and ½ rod.

In the field of Longeley there are 64 acres; in Pipebriche on one side of the road 32 acres 1 rod and on the other side of the road 11 acres  ½ rod, in Pipebriche third there are 3 acres. Lands formerly belonging to Reginald le Leche in particular fields come to 6 acres. In Chirchefeld there are 102 ½ acres. In Haln there are 23 ½ acres.