A Millennium in the Archives of the Staffordshire and Stoke-On-Trent Archive Service


<<Back                                                                                                  c1100-1200

Object Viewer
Use the navigation toolbar or keyboard controls to zoom and pan within the image. Click image to zoom in.
A=Zoom In :: Z=Zoom Out :: Click+Drag=Pan :: Esc=Reset

Deed Of Confirmation To The Canons Of St Thomas’ Priory By Richard Peche, Bishop Of Lichfield, C.1174-1182

In this document Bishop Peche confirms the original grant of land  by Gerard to the priory and also grants additional land and property himself. These gifts included a mill, with a watercourse at Baswich, which the canons had made at their own cost, and lands at Eccleshall, Stafford and Orbreton. The canons were also given the licence to build another mill and a fishpond on the Kinesbroc (King’s Brook). The document is dated from the names of the 13 witnesses to the deed and the year of the death of Bishop Peche. This document also provides early evidence of reclamation and drainage work undertaken by the canons in meadows at Eccleshall, often ‘ruined by frequent flooding’

( © Staffordshhire Record Office 938/1 )

Click here for the document transcription
Staffordshire Record OfficeWilliam Salt LibraryStoke on Trent City Archives